Update on Transportation Services’ winter maintenance plans as of 9am on Dec 29.
Posted in : Community News on by : Webmaster
All times noted are subject to change based on snow accumulation, etc.
Weather forecast as provided by our weather provider, The Weather Network:
Weather: Temperatures are all above freezing now in the city and it’s just raining now. 3-6 mm of rain is expected for the daytime today with high of +6. Winds will still be gusting to 35 km/h today. Dry conditions are expected by mid-afternoon through the overnight with lows around freezing and still quiet into midday Wednesday. It looks like more wet flurries are on the way for late in the day Wednesday. It’s early to say for sure but there could be 1 or 2 cm of accumulation into midnight if it gets cold enough, but right now we think temperatures will be around 1 or 2C during this time.
Staff will continue to monitor the forecast for updates.
Here is a summary of our key activities;
- Multiple rounds of salt have been applied to expressways, arterial and collector roads beginning at approx. 6pm Monday
- One round of salt has been applied to local roads beginning at approx.. 11pm Monday
- Due to varying amounts of snow/freezing rain/rain throughout the city, roads have been plowed where required
- Generally, the expressways and arterial roads have been plowed – collector & local roads have been salted
- Cleanup operations on expressways & arterials will continue throughout the morning focussing on centre left turn lanes, bus lanes, etc.
- At this stage, the main challenge is the amount of ponding on the roadway as a result of melting snow, rain and rising temperatures – bobcats will be working to clear catchbasins to relieve ponding conditions throughout the day
Sidewalks & Bus Stops
- Mechanical sidewalk clearing began at approx. 1am this morning and will continue throughout the day to be completed at approx. 4pm
- Wherever arterial roads were plowed, mechanical bus stop clearing commenced at approx. 8am this morning and will be completed by 8am Wednesday
Snow Update #5 will be distributed at approximately 3pm this afternoon.
Please follow @TO_WinterOps on Twitter for information throughout the event