What to do when the temperature drops well below zero
Posted in : Community News on by : Webmaster
- Ensure areas that contain indoor water pipes are kept above 8OC, especially near the water meter.
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen, bathroom and laundry cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around the plumbing.
- If leaving for an extended period of time, turn of the water at the main service valve in the basement and open the taps to drain the water from your plumbing lines. You may also wish to have someone check your home regularly.
- For your own peace of mind, you can choose to run a pencil-thin stream of water to ensure some movement of water in the pipes. However, you will be charged for the water used if you choose this step.
Run cold water from the lowest point in the house, usually a laundry room sink or tub.
Ensure the drain is kept clear of debris to prevent overflowing or flooding.